Brussels sprouts belong to cabbage family. they look like miniature cabbages. They are very popular in Brussels, Belgium. Hence the name. These can provide cholesterol lowering benefits if steamed. Here is the simple recipe with steamed Brussel Sprouts.
- Brussel Sprouts – 3 Cups
- Onion – 1 Salt – as per your taste
- Red Chili powder – as per your taste
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2
- Olive Oil – 1 tbl spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chana Dal – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
How to make it?
- Soak Brussels sprouts in salt water for 5 minutes. Dry them with a towel.
- Trim the end and cut into half through the core.
- Steam these pieces for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. once it is hot, add chana dal and urad dal. once they are brown, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As mustards start spluttering, add diced onion.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add turmeric powder and coriander powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add steamed Brussel sprouts and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- add salt, red chili powder and mix well. Cook for two more minutes and turn off the heat.
- This is good with Brown/White rice.